Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Back by popular demand.... blog entries.

So after 5 weeks... what has changed?

I am well into physical therapy (both water and..erm.. land). Due to buoyancy, body weight is decreased by 90% when in the water. So I can walk in the pool fairly unassisted. It amazes me how liberated I feel for 15 minutes while doing my exercises. I'd go every day if it didn't send me reeling in pain by the time I got home. I am putting weight on my leg when out of the pool as well & my range of motion and flexibility in my ankle has increased. I have been cleared to drive (not while taking drugs of course). So it turned out to be a good thing that I bought a car with an automatic transmission 2 weeks before the accident. The beetle is stick.. and I don't know when I'll be able to step on a clutch peddle.

I've started working from home.. and I am catching up on my email (right now I am reading the dramas of late December). For those of you that need to chat w/ me for work related issues... just stop by. I'm only a few miles from the data centre & Cricket loves company.

So after 5 weeks... what hasn't changed?

I'm still on crutches and have a love/hate relationship with my boot (and any left shoe for that matter). The swelling and soft tissue damage is still preventing me from wearing proper shoes on my feet.

My wrist is still screwed up. What was thought to be a sprain and would clear up after some time in a splint may have turned into a larger issue. You might be saying to yourself... wait Sarah hurt her wrist too? Yep it's true. I didn't even realize anything was wrong with it for several days because my ankle was the star of the show. There is a suspicion that there is some ligament or tendon damage. I have an appointment on Monday with a hand surgeon to get to the bottom of this mystery.

More to come...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. It sure is a slow, painful process isn't it. I'm currently dealing with big pain management issues with my mother who broke her hip last spring. And coincidentally, like with your wrist, she hit her head when she fell and they kinda neglected that since her hip was such a big deal. But now, issues with that are surfacing more.

    Good luck getting it all figured out and in healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rehab is one of the crucial part of recovery due to the rigorous exercises you need to do in repetition to regain the full functionality of the affected area. Luckily for me, many months prior when I got injured, I prepared myself with the supplemental medicare insurance plans to lessen my financial burdens for emergency situations.

    ReplyDelete